I couldn’t let the month of August end without giving you a list of events for September! This list is not as exciting as last month’s calendar of events, but I promise to update you on any upcoming fun happenings I find! In all honesty, we don’t get out much in September since we usually stay busy adjusting to back-to-school life! I hope the fun continues as I go back to work and the kids go back to school! Again, I’ll keep you posted if I find any events worth sharing after this has already been posted 😉
If you’re a Queens kid (gal, guy, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, whatever…) looking for some fun events in the local area, please see the list below. Email me if you have an event you’d like to see added to the list!
[Please keep in mind that I am from northeast queens; therefore, most events might be in the area of northeastern queens.]
Saturday, September 1st
We’ll probably be enjoying the very last days at our pool club! sigh. we’ll get used to you & love you, September.
- Flag Football Clinic at Kissena Park | 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
“The league welcomes girls and boys ages five to 17 to take part in instructional drills, strategies, and live game play. All equipment will be provided. The program will run from August through November”
- Please take some time to go through the NYC parks events calendar for the month of September because there are so many amazing events planned! nycgovparks.org
Sunday, September 2nd
- Alley Pond Adventure Course: Free Public Sundays at Alley Pond Park Adventure Center (in Alley Pond Park), Queens 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
On Sundays, the Alley Pond Park Adventure Course offers free outdoor adventure that fosters trust, communication, and team building at Alley Pond Park.
Monday, September 3rd
- BBQ & Relax with family and friends! This is it! Summer is over!
Tuesday, September 4th
- Picnic in the park. Meal prep for the week. Do something that won’t exhaust you.
- Get a good night’s sleep, kiddos! Tomorrow is the 1st day of school!
Wednesday, September 5th
- Happy 1st day of school for NYC DOE kids!I think the 1st day of school calls for BOGO sundaes @ Carvel 🙂 |28-28 Francis Lewis Blvd.
Wednesdays are the best day of the week at Carvel®. That’s because when you buy a classic soft ice cream sundae on Wednesday you get another FREE. So, find a BOGO buddy, and enjoy two sundaes for the price of one.”
Thursday, September 6th
38th Annual Italian Festival in Port Washington | 6pm – 11pm| Ride wristbands on Thursday are $10 each, $30 per wristband/per day on Friday & Saturday, and $25 on Sunday. Family Day is Sunday, Sept 9th, where rides are FREE from 12:30-1:30pm.
John Michael Marino Lodge #1389 will hold their 39th Annual Italian Festival from Thursday, September 6th through Sunday, September 9th, located at North Hempstead Beach Park in Port Washington. The festival is the largest and oldest Italian festival in Nassau county and features exciting carnival rides for all ages by Blue Sky Amusements, fantastic Italian food along with festival fare, live entertainment, carnival games, and more.
Friday, September 7th
- Free First Fridays
The Noguchi Museum is free the first Friday of every month.
- Fridays are for Pizza! We seriously need to try Parkway Pizza.
Saturday, September 8th
Sunday, September 9th
- Artists at Noguchi | Bang on a Can Music Series: Yumi Kurosawa | 3:00pm – 4:00pm
Monday, September 10th
- Back-to-School Storytime and Craft @ The Whitestone Library | 4PM- 4:45 PM
Miss Susan will read “A Fine Fine School.” After the story, we will make a bookworm craft for children ages 4 and up. All participants will also receive a free “Back To School Tips” brochure.
- Pasta at Puccini’s | Monday – Wednesday | All pasta from dinner menu 50% off! Eat in only.
We are really looking forward to trying this Italian restaurant right here on franny lew.
Tuesday, September 11th
After-school fun for kids of all ages includes puzzles, puppets, games, coloring pages, and math worksheets. Please come and join us.
Wednesday, September 12th
- Wednesday Special: Pizza at Patsy’s on Utopia Parkway. Kids, under 12, receive a FREE personal pizza with any entree purchase.
Thursday, September 13th
- I head out of Queens for The Feast of San Gennaro
The 92nd annual Feast of San Gennaro will be held on September 13-23, 2018. The event will be featuring arts, crafts, plants, antiques, entertainment, games and much more. Free fun for the whole family. Hours: 10am-6pm
- Queensboro Dance Festival at Hunter’s Point Park |
Friday, September 14th
- Are you in the mood for an afternoon of shopping at the mall? Today’s the day.
100 % of lemonade sales will be donated to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation.
Saturday, September 15th
- 3rd Annual Back to School Carnival hosted by NBCA & KCS| 11AM- 3PM | free bounce houses| games, raffles & giveaways | food to purchase| live DJ
- 4th Annual Oktoberfest @ Jagerhaus in Whitestone | 2PM
Live music, beer, amazing food and giveaways! Call 718.767.3486 to make your reservation.
- The Noguchi Museum| Center of Attention| 3:30pm – 4:30pm| Visitors are invited to engage in a conversation on Isamu Noguchi’s Brilliance, part of the Museum’s permanent installation. Free with admission; no advance registration required.
Sunday, September 16th
- Queens County Farm | 38th Annual ANTIQUE MOTORCYCLE SHOW | 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- Queens Craft Brigade | 12-5PM| VFW Hall in Astoria| 31-35 41st| free entry| great vendors & delicious food| an opportunity to support your community! follow @queenscraftbrigade on instagram
Monday, September 17th
- Family Back-to-School: Open House @ The Auburndale Library | 4-5pm
“Participants will receive small goodies and information about what Auburndale Community Library offers and materials regarding school. All ages are welcome. Registration is not required.”
Tuesday, September 18th
- Suzi Siegel’s Tiny New York| 7:00PM – 8:00PM| Astoria Book Shop
Join us on Tuesday, September 18th with Queens local Suzi Siegel for Tiny New York: The Smallest Things in the Biggest City. While New York may be famous for its towering skyscrapers and colossal neon billboards, it turns out it’s actually the little things that tell the real New York story….find out more.
Wednesday, September 19th
- I hope you make some time to relax and enjoy yourself this month! I’m looking forward to spending time at the bayside marina with my kids this month.
Thursday, September 20th
- STORYTIME @ Astoria Bookshop | 11 AM
Join us for a free storytime every Thursday morning at 11am! It’s open to the public, and all ages are welcome. The book selection is tailored to the audience (usually babies and toddlers). Want to volunteer as a reader? We’d love that! Email us at email@example.com to find out how.
Friday, September 21st
- FREE admission to the NYSCI| Fridays: 2 pm – 5 pm
Saturday, September 22nd
- The 109th Precinct invites residents to their 5th Annual Family Fun Day! | 12-4PM | Francis Lewis Park
- 36th Annual QUEENS COUNTY FAIR | Sat & Sun, Sep 22–23, 2018 | 11:00 am–6:00 pm
ADMISSION: Adult: $10/day | Child (ages 12 & under): $5/day| Farm Members are FREE (with valid ID) Purchase advance tickets here
- The World Maker Faire at the New York Hall of Science
Sunday, September 23rd
- 36th Annual QUEENS COUNTY FAIR| Sat & Sun, Sep 22–23, 2018 | 11:00 am–6:00 pm
ADMISSION: Adult: $10/day | Child (ages 12 & under): $5/day| Farm Members are FREE(with valid ID)| Purchase advance tickets here
Monday, September 24th
- This might be a great way to kick-off my birthday week…Margaritas on a Monday! Margarita Mondays @ Sangria Tapas & Wine |29-02 FLB
$5 Margaritas all night long
Tuesday, September 25th
Happy Birthday to me!
Diving into a piece of tres leche cake at Casa Enrique in LIC is exactly how I’d like to end my birthday 🙂 try this place!
Wednesday, September 26th
- wine down wednesday 🙂 #sorrynotsorry
Thursday, September 27th
- Simply Stretching @ The Auburndale Library| 6:00pm – 7:00pm |
Adults and teens (16 years old and up) are welcome to join us for an evening of simple stretching, walking exercises, and simple aerobic dancing. Please contact the Auburndale Library to register.
Friday, September 28th
- Opening night @ Bayville Scream Park | 7PM- 12AM| $$
Bayville Scream Park is Long Island’s Halloween Theme Park featuring the Scariest Attractions and Halloween Parties.
Saturday, September 29th
- OK I Retired…Now What? | 2PM-3PM | Whitestone Library
Our local motivational speaker and life coach Barbara Anerella will inspire you and help you discover new pathways and purpose in your life.
Night of fun @ Sangria Tapas and Wine
Live Flamenco Show with Grammy Winning artist Hernan Romero Saturday September 29thTHIS IS A LIVE FLAMENCO SHOW WITH DANCERS. COME JOIN A NIGHT OF FOOD AND DRINKS WITH GRAMMY WINNING ARTIST HERNAN ROMERO!!!! WWW.HERNANROMEROMUSIC.COM. SHOW STARTS AT 8PM UNTIL 10:15PM. $10 COVER PER PERSON (2 item min per person). PLEASE MAKE YOUR RESERVATION TODAY AS THIS IS ALWAYS A SOLD OUT SHOW! (718)358-2727 OR or on this our website, just hit the reservations tab above. DJ starts after the show at 10:30.
Sunday, September 30th
Happy Birthday to Mimi & Joey!
- I love Hicks Nurseries in the fall. You can’t miss Otto the Ghost and all the farm animals this fall! Fall Harvest @ Hicks Nurseries
Purchase access to additional activities “a la carte” or buy our “pay one price” bracelet to enjoy a package deal that includes: (1) ticket for a bag of popcorn, (1) Otto the Ghost bag, (1) face painting, (1) pumpkin decorating and unlimited hayrides for the day. Cost: $20.00 per person. Weekends only. Bracelets are valid for one day only.
*Roasted Corn & Popcorn available weekends only.
* Otto the Ghost is available for picture-taking 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm weekends only.